Installing Mac OS Mojave on Dell Inspiron 5559 Laptops
If you ever wanted to get your hands dirty on a Mac, but couldn’t afford to buy because of high price, here is a simple guide which will allow you to install latest Mac OS, Mojave on your Dell Inspiron 5559 laptop. This will guide you through the step by step process of preparing a bootable USB (using CLOVER), booting your laptop with the USB and installing MacOS Mojave on your laptop.
- Dell 5559 Laptop
- My laptop configuration is: i7 – 6500U CPU clocked @ 2.5 GHz, 16GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Intel Skylake 520 Graphics, AMD Radeon Graphics Card, 15.6 FHD screen, Realtek 8136E LAN, Realtek ALC3234 audio.
- A USB pen drive (16GB)
- A Hackintosh / real Mac to create the bootable USB installer
- Some time and patience.
Warning: You will most probably be required to format your hard drive completely. Take a backup of your hard drive before proceeding any further.
Steps for installation:
- Prepare your USB bootable drive following the guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/test-drive-how-to-create-a-clover-usb.127134/
- Download the ZIP from https://github.com/trivalent/5559EFI
- Copy over the CLOVER folder to your USB
- Set the BIOS settings to below ( Full guide at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/ ):
- “VT-d” (virtualization for directed i/o) should be disabled if possible (the config.plist includes dart=0 in case you can’t do this)
- “DEP” (data execution prevention) should be enabled for OS X
- “secure boot ” should be disabled
- “legacy boot” optional (recommend enabled, but boot UEFI if you have it)
- “CSM” (compatibility support module) enabled or disabled (varies) (recommend enabled, but boot UEFI)
- “fast boot” (if available) should be disabled.
- “boot from USB” or “boot from external” enabled
- SATA mode (if available) should be AHCI
- TPM should be disabled (Trusted Platform Module)
- In boot menu, select the USB drive and continue to boot
- If everything is fine, you should get the clover bootloader screen with a menu item listing different boot options.
- Select “install mac os”. If everything is fine, your laptop will boot further and the installation will start
- If you see a hang / kernel panic while the booting (At Apple Logo), do the following (You shouldn’t see this since everything is fixed up in this repo):
- Once in the clover menu goto Options>Graphics Injector>InjectIntel>FakeID
- Set FakeID to “0x12345678” from “0x00000000” (This must be set every time you boot through Clover until we resolve the Intel HD 520 Graphics below)
- Follow the full guide at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-dell-inspiron-i5559-on-macos-sierra-gm.203688/ after installation.
- Continue the installation.
- Once installation is complete copy the kext files in CLOVER/kexts/Others/ToLE/ into your /Library/Extensions folder, run ‘sudo kextcache -i /’ and reboot. You should now have Ethernet, Audio, Graphics, Touchpad etc working perfectly fine.